Monday, April 13, 2009

the Secret Club of Moms

Here is an idea I have.....its not a new idea, Oprah did it last week.

I thought it might be somewhat cathartic for all moms. I am going to open up Keepin' it Real to all moms. Link back to me from your blog if you would like. I am going to set the comments to accept anonymous, don't leave your name, leave your name, its up to you. Read through the comments, I believe it will help us all to know we are not the only ones going through tough parenting situations. My only rule is the golden one.
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Or in other words, lets make this a judgement free zone.
If you like the idea we can make it a recurring opportunity.
I will go first, not anonymous.....be kind!!
I am a bad mother.
For many reasons.
Here is the one I have the most guilt over.....
when my youngest SJ (now 11) was 2 1/2 our family visited the beach with my sister~in~law and her husband who didn't yet have the joy of being parents. We had been there for about 15 minutes and they took our oldest E (5 years old) to jump the waves. Being the stellar parents that we are we had our eyes on SJ the whole time. At least I thought my husband did and he thought I did.....can you see where this is going????
WE LOST HER!!! GONE!! NOWHERE TO BE SEEN!
at the beach
by the water
That was the longest 12 minutes of my life!
We were at a beach where all the chairs and umbrellas looked the same, she had toddled to the water to fill her little yellow and purple watering can with water. All the lifeguards were looking for her, radioing down the beach. She returned carrying her little watering can, smiling ear to ear, holding the hand of some other mother that noticed she was wandering the beach alone. This is why she had not been found. She didn't look lost. And when she saw us, she ran over like she was never gone saying "Daddy, I was looking for you so I could pour this water on you"
Giggling!
This is my choice of stories for 2 reasons.
  1. This was a huge deal, if we had been anywhere else I think someone might have called Family Services and taken my kids.

2. Kids are resilient-she was not affected by this at all. Not then, not now. She thinks we are OK as parents. (she is a preteen, no way would she tell you we are good parents)

Moms everywhere want to hear your stories......

Shhhh, We will keep your secret.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a good idea. A judgement free zone. First off, I don't think there are many parents who haven't temporaliy lost a child. My son went outside to play. When I went to check on him I couldn't find him. I ran up and down the street yelling for him. My neighbors ran out to see what was happening. I had them all looking for him. I was so sick. I was about to dial 911 when I decided to go to my elderly next door neighbors house. I knocked on the door and there he was rocking back and forth on the rocking chair. My neighbor now knows to call me if he goes to her house.

    I think what I feel the worst about is, I always want or feel I need to be cleaning rather than playing and having patients with my kids. I just fall apart if they don't leave me alone to get things done. Especially when things never seem to get done or stay done. I want to be a fun mom, I always thought I would be.

    ReplyDelete