Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Moms that discipline

Did she go to far?? I am all about discipline. At first I thought, its responsible parenting to discipline. I am all about shock and awe parenting. But I just went and read the story. They were THREE miles from home. That is too far. They were not toddlers, they are 13 and 10. Maybe three blocks from home....

How many times have you seen a parent in the store not discipline her kid and judge her for having a bad kid? Yet parents that do are judged as well. How far is too far? I believe you have to discipline when behavior occurs, I am not a "you wait till we get home" kind of mom. But the kids that generally (not all) need the public discipline are generally the very ones who probably don't get much at home. I am not talking toddlers here, I am talking the school age kids.

Parenting is not easy. Certainly not for the weak. Parents must be strong to do the battles that must be done day in and day out. Consistency is key and realize your gonna hurt your kids feelings, your gonna make them angry!! Let them sit in it for a while! I never apologize for the discipline I give-Mommy is sorry she put you in time out. NO WAY! Don't be sorry for that. Tell them your sorry their behavior is not better, if you must apologize for something. They need to learn that they are making the choice to be in time out by not doing what is expected of them. All behaviors have consequences.....it is best they know that from the beginning it makes their life easier in the long run!

*I am no expert, just a mom with opinions

1 comment:

  1. I'd have to say she was waaayyyy out of line. You just can't do that to your kids. I don't know how she actually drove off, I really don't.

    I am judging here, but as mom's we have all been there!! It's our JOB as a mom to show how to react in conflict situations. She just showed her kids she's willing to give up on them when they don't listen to her. I hope she's learned something better than what her kids got out of it!

    Thanks for sharing this...I need something to get my blood boiling...now I want to go workout :)

    xoxo ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete