As mothers we struggle daily about how to do the best for our kids.
Missy at It's Almost Naptime is asking about
how to handle play dates with a stranger.
Today, I am discussing the play date.
Do we let our children go play at a strangers home?
I think no. It is pretty easy to get to know someone. You will know within minutes if this is someone you can trust with this piece of your heart.
I think the world we live in is a scary place.
Here are my suggestions.
Adapt them to fit your situation.
- Visit the other parents, when this first play date is suggested try to organize an outing, this could be an hour at the park, a visit to the local fast food place with a playground for ice cream. It is so much easier to leave your child when you are familiar with the host.
- Make sure your child knows to follow the rules of the house when at a friends house-there is nothing worse than a kid that sasses back when they do not agree with your rules.
- Teach your kids their phone number and address.
- Start small-just an hour or two at a time
- Make definite plans to drop off and pick your child up
- Ask who will be in the home while your child is there-this is info you need. Point out that you will be there at X time to pick up your child and you expect him to be where you left them.
- Have the other adults call you if the plan changes so you can make the decision for your child. Don't feel bad, this is your baby we are talking about.